It's almost kick-off for my tri season, to say I'm excited would be an understatement. Two weeks to go!

The American Triple T is one of my favorite triathlon events in the mid-west. It has a 10ish year history of being a grueling 3 day, 4 race challenge drawing out some of the mid-west's most competitive AG racers. The results sheet read like the top of the USAT mid-west ranking at year end. Lots of Kona guys and 70.3 winners/Vegas qualifiers, and some incredibly speedy Olympic distance guys. This year is no different, the race director even touting this year as having the most competitive fields yet!

The Format

Race 1 - Friday, Super Sprint
Race 2 - Saturday AM, Olympic Distance
Race 3 - Saturday PM, Olympic (bike/swim/run)
Race 4 - Sunday, 1/2 iron distance

If the format isn’t challenging enough, the race takes place in southern Ohio (Little Smokie Mts) on the Kentucky border. Long switchbacking climbs and technical descents on the bike and a particularly grueling 3 mile out and back on a fireroad that’s named Lamp Black. We’ll be covering about 140.6 by the time the weekend is over and it’s said to be more difficult than an Ironman due to the pacing and/or recovery needed to put together a fast race on Sunday. Over aggressive pacing on Saturday can result in an extra suffering during the 1/2IM finale on Sunday.

I've done the Triple T twice before, both times in preparation for IMLP. I usually use the word participate because if you actually race the TTT, it can shell you for as long as an ironman does. In the past, my build-up to IMLP was much more important than overall placing down in Ohio and as such, I’ve always placed some effort caps (power, HR) on my performance to ensure June was spent training for IMLP rather than recovery from the TTT.


The best I’ve finished is 13th Overall, with a total weekend time of 10:32. My main goal for the weekend is to come in under 10 hrs total and if I can do that, I think I’ll have a shot at a top 5 overall placement, which, from the looks of the start list, I would be very happy with!


So how do I shave 30min+ off my Triple T best time? Here’s my list:

  •  I’m swimming more (2x more) than ever before. I’m probably a little faster but I’m hoping to just complete the swim fresher.
  • I’m as strong as I’ve been on the bike and I’ll be on my slippery Cervelo with race wheels and aero lid to boot! I plan to play it safe and set some realistic power caps to ensure I’m not feeling awesome on Saturday and horrible on Sunday!
  • I’ll be running to hit a “comfortably uncomfortable” run pace. I loosely define that as 10 bpm higher than I’ve ever raced the TTT before (150).  This will also help save the legs a bit for Sunday!
  • Sunday will be a day to leave it all out there rather than saving it for June. Regardless, there will be suffering and if I play it right, it will be self induced rather than course induced.
It may not seem like much but add in the mentality of racing and a little adrenaline from the first real race weekend of the year, I don’t think it’s outside of realm of being possible.

Stay Tuned. Train Safe

Up next: Triple T Tips – I wish I knew!