26 April 2013

Spring Training Update: 3 weeks to Triple T

It's been a while, again.  So long I had to look up my damn password to post this!

Swimming
After a great debate on Slowtwitch (here), I’ve decided to put forth a little more effort toward swimming but not because I’m a bad swimmer. Quite the opposite actually, I’m a lazy swimmer. Historically, I’ve done the bare minimum (1hr swim, 3K yds a week) to get me into 1hr IM swim shape. My key set to determine this is 10x200s on 3 min. When I can complete that set, I’m in 1hr swim shape. What lead to a change of heart was the consideration for the energy expenditure to get me to a 1hr swim. My effort during an ironman swim is typically significant, usually resulting in an average HR in the first hour of my race, some 10-15 higher than the rest of my race. That’s less than an ideal way to start a long day.

So I’ve upped my swimming 150%. 



Sounds like an incredible increase but when you’re starting at 3K, yards, another 4500 comes quick. 2 sessions. A one hour session where I work on my 200s w/ little rest and another 1.5hr session where I’m working on longer sets (300s, 4, 5) swimming strongly at a steady pace. So I’ve been doing this for about 2 months now. I’ve noticed crunchier hair, itchier skin, a ferocious appetite and a greatly improved feel for the water. I can feel when I’m using a proper high-elbow pull and I know what happens when I get tired. I’m constantly working on form and the strength required to maintain this powerful, efficient stroke.

Biking 

Spring so far in Michigan has sucked. We’re lucky to get a day that had broken 40 degrees. Tons a rain, tons of wind. My volume isn’t quite where I’d like it to be, but I’m still hovering around 8hrs a week. I’ve braved some really nasty weather on my MTB but still only have a max ride at 2:00 in duration. I’m hoping to get in a few 3hrs+ rides before the Triple T. My FTP is has high as it’s ever been but I’m been a little mentally week this winter and have spent less time cranking out the FTP sets in the dungeon. Strong, yes but I don’t quite think the endurance is where it was last year.

Running
I'm approaching this season with a bit of a different racing strategy.  Nail the swim on little energy expenditure, hold back on the bike but hold my position out near the pointy end and then absolutely blaze the run.  I have some decent stand alone run speed that has yet to be demonstrated in my tri racing.  This year, I'm patching in bits and pieces of a 1/2 marathon run plan and am hitting more speed work and tempo than ever before.  I spent late winter with low-ish volume (3ish hrs/wk)
but high frequency (5-6x/wk).  Now that we're getting near race season, I've cut back to 4 runs a week, hitting 4+ hrs/wk now by way of 1 speed session, 1 tempo run, 1 long run and a recovery run.  Hopefully this new focus is effective. I'll know soon enough...and if my race running isn't greatly improved, I'll revert back to my old plan. Work the swim, work the bike, survive the run.

Core/Yoga
I’ve still been trying to do some core work, but in all honesty, the main reason I was putting in at least 1 session a week all winter was because I wasn’t swimming much. Having a strong core it critical for swimming…I’ve replaced some basement core work with some pool core work. Yoga is still a critical exercise for me. The flexibility and relaxation benefits I get from my 30 min sessions allow me to recover, stretch and fend away injury. At least once a week, sometimes 3 times depending on level of fatigue I'm carrying.

Diet
I've starting eating clean about 6 weeks ago.  I was up 10lbs from my ideal race weight.  By cutting sweets, baked goods and cheeses, I've gotten rid of 5 lbs already.  If this damn weather would finally break, I'll start shedding the pounds during my longer endurance rides.  So far so good though.  Glad to know I can eat like a hog for months and then get on the wagon and get serious during race season.

That's all for now.   
Train safe and beware of the idiots

Next time:  Race goals for an incredibly competitive Triple T race! 

No comments:

Post a Comment