01 December 2011

Training Update

 
It's been a while, time for an update.  Training is going well.  I'm 2 months into my 'base' phase.  After a pretty disappointing FTP test in early Oct, I'm slowly climbing back up to where I was last winter.  I tested 242 in Oct, which is 30W higher than…


 ...my first ever FTP test last fall, but 36W lower than my best test last season.

While I'm a bit surprised at the drop, I can attribute to a couple of things. 

1.  I wussed out.  The mental toughness required to hammer it for 20 min in your basement can be trained.  I simply forgot how much it hurts.  The more you test, the better you'll get.

2.  After my April test last year (278W) I didn't test FTP again for the rest of the year.  It's very possible that by IMLP, my FTP was lower than 278.

Nonetheless, it is what it is.  I've have my work cut out for me.  My goal is to shoot for an FTP at 4w/kg by spring and then try to maintain while building in the endurance side of the equation into the summer.

For the past 8 weeks, I've been hitting about 4 FTP workouts a week, 1 tempo.  3 short runs (30min), 1 long (60min) and an hour or so of stretching and yoga.  That puts me in the 8-10hr/week range, which is right where I want to be.   
My Pain Cave
My plan is to keep hammering it on the bike through January.  February will signify the end of my winter base phase and I’ll begin training for an early season ½ marathon.  I’ve never worked on my speed before, hopefully a ½ marathon and a couple of ½ IMs will allow me to push the pace a little.

More than ever before I'm hoping to get a jump start on my fitness this year to prepare for a 1 month break in April when our 3rd child arrives.  Things will get “Super Crazy” (as my 4yr old would put it) and I’m positioning myself for a bit of an early season break to allow for a ton of family time.

Hope all is well.  Train Smart.

1 comment:

  1. Good luck with the hard work training. Stay healthy and good luck with the new baby.

    ReplyDelete