29 December 2011

Lance says….

It’s Not About The Bike and I agree with him (to an extent). 

In 2004 after I did my first triathlon I quickly rushed out and bought a tri bike.  It was the end of the season, it was the only one the shop and it was on sale.  I bought it.  $1100 dollars later, I was the proud owner of a ’04 Trek Equinox 7.  Entry level frame (aluminum), entry level components (Shimano 105), entry level triathlete.  A perfect “fit”!

 7 years later, I’m still rollin’ on the same bike.  It’s been sweat on, snot on and peed on rained on.  Its’ probably seen 20,000 miles!  It has round tubes and not a gram of carbon but ….
 

it’s also been raced the  Queen K!

In the past 7 years, the bike industry has made phenomenal progress regarding bike design and aerodynamics.  Aero tube shaping, integrated stems/bars and wheel cutouts….by the time it’s all said and done, it’s a lot more now than “just a bike”.  (I say that because they can cost twice as much as my first car!)  Guys are upgrading components and buying new wheels now to save seconds.  So, while it’s not ALL about the bike, when the Top 5 places are decided within minutes of each other (yes, after 10 hours of racing), the bike does have something to do with it!  Sorry Lance for I have betrayed you!

Aside:  At an MSU tailgate party back in college, I was smashed and was chatting with one of my buddy’s very successful businessman fathers.  –stick with me here - In my drunken haze that fall day, I still remember the jist  of the conversation we had.  Work Hard – Play Hard.  Always in that order.  In this particular case the  emphasis was being placed on school.  He was telling me it was okay to have fun and be a stumbling drunkin’ fool, but only if it came after putting in the work at school and getting the grades.  Today, I can pretty much apply that theme to something I do every day….but,I digress.

So now, after 7 years in this sport I think it’s safe to say that I’ve paid my dues.  I’ve worked hard and now it’s time to play.  I feel a big upgrade coming!!!

STAY TUNED!
Anyone looking to buy a “clean, barely used, triath-a-lon bike, with low miles”? Holla’!

No comments:

Post a Comment