21 October 2011

Top Shelf Triathlon!?!?!

“Whoa, now wait a minute!  Top Shelf Triathlon!  Who does this guy think he is!  Oh great, just what we need, another pretentious, self-absorbed, egotistical triathlete blogging on and on about himself.” 

Before you judge, let me explain.

My hobby used to be drinking and partying.  I got my first taste in high school and it spun wildly out of control in college.  It started with a  6-pack between few friends and quickly moved to kegs of beer and “Crazy Handle Night” (handle = ½ gallon).  At the time, the challenge was to see who could drink more and outlast everyone else.  By Commencement, I  could drink until the sun came up, taking down insane quantities of alcohol and had even “graduated” to higher quality liquors. Mission accomplished, right!?  Yeah, if being a Loser was the goal! 

Luckily, after college, athletics re-entered my life.  I bellied up to my first small, local triathlon and was actually able to stumble my way across the finished line.  It was hard to stomach but I had to accept the fact that I got whooped. 

Then slowly over the years, though a lot of hard work and dedication, I kept racing and was beginning to hold my own.  My endurance was improving, the races were bigger and the quality of my competition was getting better.  I was hooked.  I’ll be the first to admit I’m no literary ninja, but hopefully can see where I’m going with this.
Top Shelf Triathlon.  It’s not who I am, rather where I want to be.  The top of the podium. To be my best, I have to beat best.  And this is my journey…

No comments:

Post a Comment