21 October 2011

1.21 Gigawatts!


Functional Threshold Power (FTP) – average power during your highest possible effort in a 60-minute race.  Your FTP is used to gauge proper race intensity so you can still run well off the bike.

I created a firestorm of debate on slowtwitch.com last spring by starting the post “25% Increase in FTP!. While the debate went round and round, I will offer up the following...

Last season, I went from PR marathon shape (2:54), zero bike fitness to an FTP increase of 25% after 5 months of dedicated work.  From 0 bike fitness to a 25% increase.  Everyone knows that building from zero bike fitness is much easier than building from a 300W FTP that has been 5 years in the making.

Nevertheless, my first ever FTP test was 210W, 5 months later I tested at 278W for a 25% increase.

Marty, we're gonna need more power!!
My protocol to achieve these results was basically a 3 day cycle.  Day 1 FTP, Day 2 FTP, Day 3 rest.  Repeated ad nauseum or until my legs fell off (surprisingly, neither happened).  The nice thing about a format like this was that I put in a shit-ton of work, in a short amount of time.  I got super fit and it limited my off-season training time.  This allowed me to hang with the fam more and not be a complete self-absorbed, tri junkie, nerd all year round.

This winter, I plan on following a similar protocol.  I don’t expect to see anywhere near that sort of increase (not starting from scratch)…but what doesn’t kill you, will surely make you stronger.

2 comments:

  1. I am starting something very similar as well. I started my first 8 week FTP block on October 10th. I will then move to a VO2 Max block of 6 weeks and then a 6 week block of FTP. Yes just like EN. IT makes complete sense to me. I'm looking for 12.5% gains at a minimum. That will move me from 3.3w/kg to 3.7w/kg. Lets put in the work. When do you start?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeff - 1. The pain has already begun, I'll be reporting some surprising findings soon. 2. You're blog is cool and alot of what you write, I feel. Amazing how similar life phases will do that! 3. I get excited reading about people that are willing to put in the work, as simple as a concept as that is, many people don't get it.

    Best of Luck!

    ReplyDelete