08 October 2011

Massive Fall Out

Not the first thing that comes to mind when you hear Detroit!
Little did I know when I moved to Metro Detroit 10 years ago, there would be such an abundance of mountain biking trails.  Like many other big cities full of concrete, they (we) take our Green Spaces very seriously!

The Massive Fall Out is an annual fall group ride (MTBs) usually consisting of about 100+ riders.  It's very casual, free event  and a great way to get outside and spend the day.  The description of the ride is about 60 miles through 5 different county parks and state recreation areas.  Paved, Dirt, Double Track, Single Track.


Sadly, for about the 5th year in a row, I've had other commitments and have not been able to join in on the fun.  This year, I didn't let that stop me.  I had my own Solo Fall Out.  One of the nice things about maintaining some fitness into the off season is that I can go out exploring like this and not end up wrecked for a week!   3:30 hrs, 40 miles,  4 parks, Massive Fun.  Enjoy.

Right out my door, I have endless access to dirt roads and trails!

Park #1 - Addison Oaks County Park


Share the Trail - a common theme

Still early for peak color, but still nice!

After a full work week, I sat in a traffic jam for 15 min and went 1 mile.  This is my therapy.

The Michigan Mountain Biking Association get all the credit for trial maintenance.

It was a stare down.  I eventually won.
Park #2 - Bald Mountain State RA






Park #3 - Bald Mountain State Rec Area (North)


 
Park #4 - Dragon's Gap Lake Orion HS


Epic Ride - my bike even looks tired!
My mountain bike is one of my most prized possessions.  It's 10 years old and nothing fancy but for me it's like the couch in a Shrinks office.  It allows me to get out, unwind and escape the hustle and bustle of the city.

Here's proof that the shortest distance between two points is a straight line.  My Garmin File.

BTW - yes, that's a bento box and I stow the same sort of things in there that I race with.  Nutrition, emergency cash, patch kit,  iPpod, lucky rabbits foot, Chicklets....and in this case, a camera.

Hope all is well!
Until Next Time.


2 comments:

  1. I miss my old stomping grounds. thanks for posting these pics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hopefully your new stomping grounds have some new outdoor adventures to explore!

    ReplyDelete