13 December 2015

2015 Year In Review



Year In Review - 2015
Another solid race season is in the books. Training and racing with a working spouse, 3 young energetic boys and a career of my own continues to be a moving target but with great communication and sacrifice, I continue to push my comfort zone and redefine what is possible. Similar to last season, I decided to steer away from the long distance stuff and focused on olympic distance racing and running speed. My "A" race for the year was the ITU World Championship and a surprise, fall 10 mile race popped up mid-season, more about that in a bit.

2015 Results Summary
American Triple T 3rd Overall (event PR)
  
-Race 1 Sprint 2nd AG
  
-Race 2 Olympic 2nd AG
  
-Race 3 Olympic 3rd AG
   -
Race 4 1/2 iron 1st AG
Grand Rapids 1/2 iron 4:22 3rd AG (distance PR)
CRIM (10 mile) 1:03 (distance PR)
ITU World Championships 2:04 10th American
Army 10 Miler 59:02 (distance PR)
My year started off strong as I finally made the American Triple T podium after many years of trying to get it right! To do well at a grueling event like the Triple T you have to be strong and smart, I've been working hard on both! I recovered quickly from the TTT and toed the line at the Grand Rapids 1/2 iron distance to test my endurance against some of the mid-west's quickest. A bunch of the Every Man Jack guys showed up and had me against the ropes. Even with a personal best, I was run down by 2 of their guys and ended up 3rd for the AG. I love racing with guys that push me to my limit, I only wish there was a better way to pick the races that you know all of the fast guys show up...it's one of the main reasons I'm driven to race, competition! 
 
And then in July, I was selected by my employer to race in the Army 10 Miler with the goal of winning the corporate team challenge. My focus shifted to increase my run fitness and find some speed which actually worked out quite well for my ITU Worlds build. First, I ran in the state (Michigan) favorite CRIM 10 Mile and was pleasantly surprised to be getting quicker despite so many years of long distance training and racing. 6:17 min/mile for a distance PR was the result.

Then came ITU Worlds in Chicago which was as an absolute blast and another great championship race that drew out some amazing athletes. I put my head down, gave it my all and came away with a 15th place in the age group and stacking up as the 10th place finishers for the US!! Having an opportunity to race on Team USA was an incredible experience and one that I won't soon forget! My results after a strong year have boosted me to my highest ever USAT National Ranking! 12th in the USA!! (AG)

And then finally, the conclusion for season; the Army 10 Miler, another chance of a lifetime for me. An all expenses paid trip to Washington, DC to represent my employer and team up with some of the faster runners I've ever had a chance to rub elbows with! The result: 59:02 for a 4 minute PR. 
 
I'm running faster now than ever before and would even put a whooping myself 10 years ago!! (...but how's 11th out for 15 on my corporate team for a slice of humble pie!!)

What's Next??
Plans for the 2016 season are already taking shape. The Triple T is a race I just can't say no to and Muskoka 70.3 sounds equally grueling (read: fun), so I'm in. The trip to Muskoka may end up as a scouting mission for another Kona Qualifying run in 2017....but maybe sooner, as a trip to Hawaii to celebrate 40 sounds fitting.

No comments:

Post a Comment