19 July 2014

Mid-Year Update 2014



Wow my blog has really taken a back seat lately.  I've been busy doing a bunch of familying, working and some training too.  Here's a quick update to how my season has been going.

In my 6 years of doing the American Triple T in Ohio, this year was by far the most challenging.  With the damn Polar Vortex, we had the worst winter on record and must have been damn near the worst spring too.  Cold, windy and wet.  That theme continued down in Ohio through mid-May and we raced in the coldest conditions I'd ever experienced.  Upper 30's air temp in the morning with I'd guess mid 50 water temp.  The race announcers never commented on water temp all weekend and I'd guess that's because it was borderline "cancel the swim" cold.  The race dealt out the expected hand of a tough course, great comradery and a great way to kick-off to the season.  My fitness was lacking this year (especially on the bike) but I some how managed to pull off 5th overall.  All of the guys much faster than me must have, mid-shiver, thrown in the frozen towel.

After the TTT my season took a drastic, but expected, turn from Long Course racing to an Olympic distance focus.  My A race for the year is USAT Nationals in Milwaukee but more on that later.


Olympic distance racing is a lot of fun but different than long course is so many ways.
 1. Racing hard for 2 hrs hurts way more
2. Recovery time from said 2 hrs is amazingly quick
3. Racing competitively at 5-7 training hrs/wk versus the insane 15-20 hrs/wk for long course
 4. Racing and home by noon to get on with my day versus the whole day/week production for 1/2 and full distance races

As could probably be predicted, this distance is much more sustainable for a married father of 3, who also works full time.  Training has been very interesting.  "I don't work out very much, but when I do I go really hard."  1-2 one hr swims a week. 3-4 half hour runs, mostly 800m intervals and a few bike rides usually consisting of one "long" ride a week (2hrs) and 2-3 other short FTP/VO2 intervals sessions.  I've dropped my weekly basement core and yoga sessions.  I know I'd be stronger and more durable if I were doing them but I've traded them for more family time.

Back in June I race a small local race called the Big Fish Olympic.  It was really my first OLY distance race in 5+ years.  It hurt bad. I swam well, biked too hard and suffered on the run. 1st AG,  3rd OA.

Next up was the Chicago ITU race.  Again huge race, stiff competition and I further attempted to reign in my effort to optimize my pace at this distance.  I swam well, biked fast and ran okay in the heat and ended up in 7th AG, 22nd OA.  Huge races are so much fun, I love getting my ass kicked as it continues to focus my training.  Chicago is an amazing city to host a race, hopefully I'll be going back next year for ITU Worlds.

And after all of this, I'm still trying hard to shake the Iron distance bug. Yes I have a screw loose but still understand the allure of racing long.  Big races, organizational OCD to juggle life, lots of self-inflected pressure to perform, wicked competition and that stupid Kona carrot!  That ONE race is so frickin' cool, it's very hard for me to say with any confidence that I'm done chasing it.  I've qualified 2x for the Big Show now, once in the M30-34 and once in the M35-39.  I joke with my wife that my next attempt will be to go for a KQ in the M40-44.  She laughs but only time will tell whether it's a joke or not.

My near term goal is to do really well at USAT Age Group Nationals.  I've set a goal of Top 10 in the AG and from the way the Chicago ITU played out and a cursory review the start list in Milwaukee, I definitely have my work cut out for me.  7 guys from the top 10 last year are returning as well as a half dozen other Speeders that I know by name.  With a little more pacing refinement and changes to my training (more speed work), I think I can shave a few minutes off of my Chicago performance, we'll have to see how that plays out in the AG later in August.

As always a quick shout to my sponsors.  First Endurance has been on my side for over 5 years.  They walk the walk and talk the talk.  Premium Sports Nutrition period.  Emilio and his crew over at Desoto Sports make phenomenal training and racing apparel.  If in doubt, google "Desoto Slowtwitch" and superior quality and customer service will become quickly apparent.  And finally, Rudy Project stuff is everywhere for a reason.  The quality is high, the drag is low.  Get some.

Hope all is well in your neck of the woods.
Please be careful out there!









No comments:

Post a Comment