16 February 2013

The Truth Will Set You Free

This off-season there has been no shortage of doping scandals, suspensions and some heated discussions within the Age Group ranks on Slowtwitch about doping probability and motive. In my 10 years in this sport, I can honestly tell you that I have never heard or witnessed anyone talking about doping to gain a competitive advantage. Maybe it's because I live in Michigan, maybe it's because my local peer group of triathletes is small or maybe because I expect the best from everyone in this sport rather than the worst as commonly portrayed on Slowtwitch.

How prevalent is doping in the AG ranks? How many Kona Qualifiers dope to get there? How will the USAT, USADA, WADA, UCI, etc. ever identify a way to ensure the competitive AG playing field is level? My answer for each of these is the same. I have no idea. Call me naive but I'm not convinced that there is a problem. How can anyone be certain that an in and out-of-competition testing protocol needs to be implemented until it's been identified that there's a problem?

I'll throw out my own simple, although likely expensive, idea for 2013.

1. Randomly test Kona qualifiers at the event in which they qualify.
2. Test Top 5 in every AG this year in Kona.

(what about big USAT non-ironman events? sure, do that too)

This will be a far cry from identifying a solution, but it will certainly identify if there is a problem.


Having qualified last year in Wisconsin and subsequently signing up for the Ironman World Championship (to be held 13 months later), I've also agreed to enter the pool for out-of-competition drug testing. I doubt out-of-competition testing very prevalent but I welcome the day I get a knock on the door from someone from the USADA holding a little plastic cup. And I'll tell you what, when it happens I'll be sure to Blog and Tweet and Slowtwitch my brains out because the mere hint of an accusation that "most" age groups dope to get to Kona is not only offensive but completely unfounded!

In my 10 years in this sport there is one certainty I've witnessed, NOT ALL AGE GROUP ATHLETES ARE CREATED EQUAL. You have your Couch to 10k athletes, you have Weekend Warriors, you have the Genetically Gifted and finally your Professional Age Groupers. The monetary value and personal time allocated to this hobby of ours can be a night and day between within these different categories of athletes. I guarantee you that the athlete that spends more time training, more money on equipment and coaching and also has the benefit of some genetic gifts, will likely beat any athlete in to the ground to who has less of these resources to "spend".

Can I compete with a group of guys who are independently wealthy, have coaches and the means to train 20+hrs a week year round? NOPE! So my best bet is to do what I can and hope that too many of these guys in my Age Group don't show up to races are really important to me. Is there a chance that 10 former Kona guys could show up at one qualifier and whoop the snot out of all of us?  Sure!  And if that ever happens, is
every guy that beats me to the line "all doped up"? I highly doubt it but I will put money on that fact that their lifestyle is more likely set up to enable them to train harder and race faster than me.

Wow, that kinda rambled away from my intended direction...anyway, next time I'll continue with 'The Truth Will Set You Free' theme and present a full disclosure of exactly what it is that I'm on and the products that I'm a full believer in!

Until then,
Train Smart 

No comments:

Post a Comment