08 February 2013

KAHTOOLA!

"F" is right!
Social media reminds me daily that a whole lot of people live in a much nicer, warmer winter climate than I do. Outdoor lap pools in Florida, long bike rides in Arizona and nice sunny, warm runs in California. 

Living in the mid-west, you've got to play the hand you're dealt and as such I've been "dealing" with this weather my whole life. 

Winter running allows me to get outside to enjoy some fresh air, the undulating terrain allows me to continue to build muscular endurance and durability and getting out also allows me to continue logging run mile without wanting to stab my eyes out on the treadmill. While running on trails, snow and ice can present it’s own risks, I think when approached correctly, running on adverse terrain encourages a quick cadence that promotes efficiency and a proper body position/foot fall for good bio-mechanics. (read: forward lean, forefoot strike)
 
So the Kahtoola Mt Run is this funny little local race that has us crazy Michiganders running an 8k up and down the local ski hill. The race is put on by Infiterra, a Michigan based Adventure Racing Company, and this race is just that, an adventure! Only about 60 brave souls showed up this year, and if racing up and down Pine Knob doesn’t sound like much “fun”, the Arctic Blast from the north brought the wind chill down to about 5 degrees to further skew our definition of a good time!


ONTO THE RACE

Right when the gun sounded some fast dude blasted out into the lead. “Fast Dude” lead the way for the whole first lap, he held about 15 seconds on me as we yo-yoed up and down the different slopes. I finally caught him at the beginning of lap 2 and we ran together for a while, no doubt measuring our efforts, trying to gauge what kind of finish would be required. I’d put in a surge and he’d close the gap. A game of cat and mouse ensued and after my second failed attack I was certain I was the one getting toyed with. And then, during the last long, steep climb up the far side of the hill, I attacked one last time, glanced back and he was gone. I recovered at the top, quickly traversed to the other side and then back down to the lodge. Two of my boys greeted me at the finish. It was really the first time they been to a race and it was fun for them to see Daddy win!


Brooks ASR + Yak
FOOTWEAR
I’ve always run in a trail specific form of running shoes, the Brooks line always have a few options to offer but I’ve also had success with Adidas trail runners. Pictured below are the Brooks ASRs that I’ve been lovin!. They’re incredibly durable and short of actually having metal screws in the soles, they have an amazingly aggressive tread.


This year I’ve also added some YakTrax to my winter gear selection. As I’ve said, I’ve been running on adverse surfaces for years now and I don’t think anyone really NEEDS YakTrax to enjoy some winter running. I have however been amazed at how well these things work. They’re awesome on hard packed snow and ice, especially when there is layer of fresh power covering the hard pack. They improve toe-off and traction when changing direction and generally just allow you to confidently cover the distance a little quicker.
So if you’re stuck in a wintery climate and lack a strong affinity to miles and miles of dread-mill running, like I do, do yourself a favor and invest in some season specific gear. It’ll help you cope with the winter months, continue to boost base season fitness and just generally get you outside to enjoy some fresh air. 

That’s it here.
Train Smart
 

Next Up: The Truth Will Set You Free

1 comment:

  1. Now this time I visit many website and found many information but I think this is very important information all of us.I will sharing this information some other people.Triathlon

    ReplyDelete