05 September 2012

The Odds Makers - Ironman Wisconsin 2012



Back in the day they used to call it stalking and it was creepy. Now a days, with the advent of social media and internet sites like athlinks and slowtwitch learning about your competition can be classified as doing 'research'...although it's still a little creepy, it's really not much different than a scouting report and college recruiters. Regarding my competition, I've always said it all depends who shows up.  It's not uncommon for a FOP age grouper to get whooped up on by a former pro runner at a local sprint triathlon but said FOP age grouper could run away with win at a big Iron-branded race.  It all depends who show's up.   All that said, I've done a limited amount "research" to identify some potential contenders in the M35-39 AG at Ironman Wisconsin....and let me tell you, the FIELD IS STACKED! ....

 My approach was far from an exhaustive search and more of just a grazing.  I began by scanning the field, looking for recognizable names.  I've been a fan of this game (ironman) for long enough that certain FOP, AG winners and other Kona guys' names just jump out at you.  I also searched the participant list M35-39 Kona qualifiers at IMOO over the past couple of years.  A lot of times, races are selected due to convenience of location.  My guess, which I confirmed, is that several guys that have had success in Madison are going to be taking another crack at it.  So without further ado...and without naming names, he's the short list.  

-AG winner from IMOO 2011  
-Former 9:30 IMOO guy + multiple Kona qualifier  
-Multiple USAT AG Champion and sub 4:15 70.3 guy  
-6 other 10hr IMMOO guys that could easily bust this thing wide open!

As I've said, this is only a small sampling of guys that can really throw down.  I stopped my searching there but there's really good chance a dozen other fast AGpers and/or former Kona guys could show up from other qualifying races (my sampling was only IMOO!)  There's a chance nobody else could show up.  There a good chance that a few "under the radar" guys that have made huge improvements could show up.  There's also a chance that the "rookie" who takes his first crack at iron distance racing and succeeds.

 
I'm excited about this list and the potential to have a really fast, competitive race.  One of the reasons I race Ironman is because I'm highly competitive and it's always more exciting when there's a lot riding it! In the end, regardless of competition, the race plan doesn't change.  Make it to the finish line faster than the other guys by executing a perfect race.  

True be told, I would never actually attempt to place odds against any one of these guys.  This is Ironman and anything is possible.  I will put my money on one thing though...the race is gonna be SICK fast!  9:40 if you want on the podium, sub-10 for a chance at a Kona roll-down!  I'm calling it now! (but these time predictions only apply if it's 90 and humid!)

No comments:

Post a Comment