11 September 2012

Never Say Never

Ironman Wisconsin Results

Swim: 57:55
Bike: 5:19
Run: 3:17
Total: 9:43

5th in AG / 30th Overall and I'm going back to Kona!

Midway through the year I had doubts if this was even possible again.  Then yesterday, a dozen times on the run course, it would have been so much easier to just give up.  If there was any doubt, doing well in these races isn't all about who has strongest body.  The mental aspect of hanging in there until the very end can't be captured in a picture.

I was gonna hang it up for iron distance racing if I didn't place Top 5 and qualify to go back to Hawaii.  So it looks like I get to keep pushing along for my really long victory lap next October on the Big Island.  I've learned a ton along the way and now that I'm no longer competing for a Kona slot, it's time to spill it.  No more secrets.  I'm completely open to questions and topics.  Please feel free to ask, as I will certainly elaborate to the best of my ability.

Upcoming topics include:
  • A detailed breakdown of my race by discipline.
  • My Go Fast "secrets"
  • "These dudes must be on something!"
  • The "OFF" season
  • "Are you gonna eat that?"
Stay tuned.

2 comments:

  1. Great race Corey! Looking forward to your upcoming topics.
    Did you implement the ramp up FTP that you wrote about on slowtwitch last year.. the 25% improvement by doing short but intense sets?
    Really interested in the breakdown of your race.

    Cheers
    Pete

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pete. Yes, I did follow a very similar format for my winter trainer sessions. Big gains came very quickly during my first winter of training with power. This past winter it took me several cycles to resume the FTP that I had previously built. Additionally, I mixed in training for a spring 1/2 marathon, so focus and recovery required to really blast FTP just wasn't quite there. By the Spring, I had basically gotten back up to previous FTP highs but was never really able to exceed it.

      Delete