20 September 2013

Iron Rollercoaster



Jeesh, it’s been a while. I’d really love to post more updates but I’ve been so incredibly swamped, it’s not even funny. 

Training for an Ironman while holding down all other aspects of life is no simple task.  It’s actually one of the reasons I love the challenge of the life /race balance.  To do it successfully you need to be incredible organized and optimize every minute of every day.  I’ve always said the minute I can’t juggle it all, without one of more balls falling out of the air, I’m done.  Well, 3 kids, a working spouse, after schools and weekend sports, my career and that other little commitment of training to be competitive at iron distance racing....I think I’ve reached my limit.   The balls are still all in the air but I’m running back and forth all over the stage to make it happen.  It’s not pretty.  It’s not always fun and I’m exhausted....


Burnout / Injury
Classic burnout, no?
I’m tired.  I’m tried of all the running and coordinating. Squeezing in a ride with + 5 min to spare between activities takes a lot of the enjoyment out of training.  I love to train, I don’t love to rush through it.  My body is beat up and has been rebelling.  My whole left side is teetering on injury.  My Achilles hurts, my knee aches and my feet are sore.  I’ve been in to see the PT and he suspects Achilles and patellar tendonitis.  After an 18 miler a few weeks ago I could hardly walk.  I took 3 days off and still couldn’t even generate power on the bke.  For about a week I was concerned about even making it to the starting line.  Lots of rest, Aleve and ice brought me back.

I’m good for about 45min of running, day after day without pain.  I ran 10 miles the other night, it felt okay running but the next day I was hurting.  I’m not concerned about making it through the marathon but I am disappointed that I wont’ be at my best.  Normally this would be a huge blow but considering that a week and a half ago I was honestly concerned about making the bike cut off, I’m just happy to have an understanding of the injury now and the training that I can continue to do to get me to the starting line and still put together a decent race.

A few years ago I messed up my hip 3 weeks out from Boston.  I went on a 3 week, No Run Taper and still had a decent day.  Was it my best?  Nope.  Did I do everything in my power to give it my all under the circumstances?  Yep.   I won’t quite be on a No Run Taper but it’ll be minimal…definitely no more long runs and no speed work.

Swimming
I’m swimming more than ever before.  It’s usually placed to give the legs a rest.  I’ve been flopping through many of my 1hr long sessions but I’ve found my stoke and continue to build upper body strength.  I look like a crazy lean swimmer, not a bone thin, running triathlete.

Biking
I’ve had a great summer of biking.  Racing a bunch of OLY and Half distances races.  My volume is way done compared to IMWIS last year but I’ve been focusing on shorter more intense sessions.  3 hrs at nearly HIM pace is a hell of a work out.  My longest ride to date is only 80 miles.  I’ll get in one 100mile ride and I’ll call it good.  Not sure if it’s gonna work, but it’s the hand I’ve been dealt.

Running
Running was going well.  40ish mi/wk average.  Lots of short runs, 1 middle distance (8-12) per week and then a long one each week.  To date, I’ve gotten in two 18 milers.  I’ll miss you two planned 20s.  Will this still work?  Probably.

Core/Diet
Between my swimming and my core exercised I’m back up to Ironman core strength.  Pushups, planks, superman’s, etc don’t phase me.  I got serious about my diet again after my pummeling at Steelhead.  I’m holding steady at race weight, 155lbs, lean and mean!  I’ll have to be careful when my taper starts so it doesn’t creep up with my reduced volume.

Goals in Kona
I’ve spent weeks thinking about goals.  With the knee thing now, a lot has changed.  I’m not satisfied going all the way to Hawaii with a wimpy goal of “I just want to finish”.  I’m still assessing what I think is both reasonable and possible.  I’m very goal oriented and coming away from likely my last full distance race with a bad taste in my mouth is a recipe for disaster.  I need to set a series of goals that are both challenging and realistic.  More on the details next time.

Signing off for now.
Exhausted.

1 comment:

  1. To: Corey Perez #Triathlete
    From: Darin Armstrong #TeamLIVESTRONG

    ***Special #FollowFriday #Shoutout To: @Perez_MI_TRI #Triathlete (#Swim #Bike #Run) - http://topshelftriathlon.blogspot.com

    Hello Corey,
    The above is what your #Twitter #FollowFriday #Shoutout will look like this Friday should you do a 'mutual' following with me on twitter. ('Smart Individual Marketing/PR')

    Just a quick message to ask if you would be interested in a ‘mutual’ following on twitter that will benefit you. (#FYI I do RT’s ‘ANYTIME’ for all #Triathletes #Cyclists #UltraRunners #Marathoners #FitnessProfessionals who follow me on Twitter and have something important they want mentioned for support…(Over 41K folks at your access...) I am currently following you now and am awaiting your follow-back...

    All the very best to you & your family for the rest of 2013 & beyond Corey. Look forward to hearing from you...

    (PS. Corey, should you follow back, I'll be mentioning you 'Including Your Website' in a 'Stand Alone' #FollowFriday #Shoutout this Friday...)


    Darin
    twitter.com/DarinArmstrong
    #TeamLIVESTRONG

    ReplyDelete