08 July 2013

USAT Mideast Regional Championship - Race Report

Following the review of my extremely positive experience with the folks at Epic Races and the USAT Mideast Regional Championship course spread out throughout the Waterloo Recreational Area...this race report will be easily captured and straight to the point.

Race Summary:
Swim: 21:46
Bike: 59:00
Run:  37:39
Total:  2:00:23 (5th OA, 1st AG M35-39)




The gauge for my entire race was Nick Stanko.  He's a local pro triathlete and former pro runner.  We've toed the line a handful of times, most recently the Grand Rapids 1/2 iron distance tri.  Nick wins every local race he enters. My plan is to see how long I can hold him off, while putting together a smart race.  He's a decent swimmer, a great biker and untouchable on the run (32min 10K, 1:10 1/2!).  I figured and was hoping there would be a handful of other fast guys, likely college aged club guys that could really throw down!

Swim:
I actually got in for a little swim warm up.  I get nervous about being the last one behind the line before the start, so realistically, I probably got a less than 5 min warm up.  I don't think it helped at all, but it was 5 min more than I've ever gotten before.  It was a nice wide start and I lined up in the front row next to about 6-8 other guys.  They said "GO" and we were off.  My arms and shoulders haven't been feeling particularly strong lately and that was also the case for much of my swim.  Clean water was to be had for the 1st lap and then we started passing the BOP 2nd and 3rd wave starts.  I occasionally feel bad for these folks.  Getting passed at near "light speed" by strong swimmers has gotta be tough.  As such, I do my best to play nice and give them some room.  Things didn't feel good for almost 3/4 of the way through.  Seems like I need about a solid 15 min warmup.  Maybe next time.  Without combing the results, I'd guess I was 8th out of the water.

T1:
It was a long run up, blah, blah, blah.  I suck at getting out of my wetsuit.  I'm usually so glad to be out of the water, there's usually a little complacency as I putz my way through T1.

Bike:
Out onto the road, I quickly made a few passes.  Relays and aquabike folks I suspect.  Nevertheless, I plugged away.  I had a target wattage of 245W.  I say I did pretty good this time at sticking to it.  I started a little strong, eased in and finished with a bunch in the tank.  I fueled with 1 double strength bottle of 1st Endurance EFS drink mix and one bottle of water.  And I had along one EFS flask with 2 servings of Vanilla gel with 1/2 scoop of Pre-Race.  I drank the two bottles throughout the bike ride and took down 1/2 the flask 15min in the bike and the other half 45min into the bike.  I was able to hold Stanko off until about mile 20.  He came by steady and slowly pulled away.  I was off the bike in 5th place overall.
Avg Power: 248, Pnorm: 251, Speed: 24.7,  Garmin File

T2:
I've gotten quick in this second transition.  I still slip on a real thin pair of socks.  I have a hell of a time getting my Brooks Pure Connect shoes on wet/sweaty feet.  Regardless, I get in and I get out.

Run:
I strap my Garmin 410 on my wrist as I run out of T2.  It took a little practice but it's great that the signal picks right up and reminds me not to run a 5:30 right off the bat.  The legs were responding and after I forced my first 2 slowest miles, I settled into a nice goal pace of getting quicker as the race went on.  At the 1.5 mile turn, Stanko was already in the lead, leaving two poor young guys in his wake to dream another day.  I made one pass and moved into 4th place.  Along the way, I kept glancing back to see if/when I'd have company.  As I continued to push the pace, no challengers ever came.  1st, 2nd and 3rd were in a leauge of their own.  I kept pushing but never caught 'em. I finished strong and was satisfied with a 5th place finish (4th went to some 40 year old guy in wave 2).
Ave Pace: 6:15.  Avg HR: 165  Garmin File

Post race I stuck around for a while shaking hands and meeting new people.  2nd place in my AG was about 8 mins back.  It was a little disappointing that the USAT Mideast Regional race didn't get a little more attention.  I know I had a good race but am realistic about my performance in the grand scheme of Top Age Group performances in the region.

I got my special invite to the already sold out USAT Nationals but will graciously be passing.  It's not in the cards this year.  It will most likely be on the schedule for next year and my Olympic distance focused season.

With over an hour drive home and a lawn to mow, I quickly made my way out of there after awards.  Next up will be a little rest before trying to get back into a nice consistant cycle.  I only have a handful of weeks between now and Ironman Steelhead 70.3.  I'm setting an early goal of getting on the podium and I can guarntee you any Mdot branded race will bring steep competition.

Thanks for reading!
Train Safe.






No comments:

Post a Comment